Frequently Asked Questions

When do I use a Local Purchase Order (LPL) and when do I use Purchasing Services?

LPO’s can be used for purchases up to $2000 (Max.) for items not on the restricted list (see the Restricted Items answer). The authorized Department Personnel (as designated by the School Principal) can place the order with the Vendor. Provide the Vendor with the order number from the upper right corner of the LPO Local Purchase Order. Instruct the Vendor to be sure this order number appears on their invoice. Have them mail the original and one copy of the invoice to SD34 Accounts Payable, 2790 Tims Street, Abbotsford BC V2T 4M7. Emailed invoices are accepted, faxed invoices are not. Invoices may be emailed to: If an invoice comes with the shipment, forward it to Accounts Payable.

Master Card purchases can be made for purchases up to $500, for items not on the restricted list (see the Restricted Items answer), where the Vendor requires payment in advance or at the time or order. Generally a Check Request is used for memberships, subscriptions, licenses (non-software), permits and certain shipping costs such as Fed Ex, UPS. A completed vendor order form or other source documents (renewal notice, application form, subscription card, etc.), plus one copy, must be attached to the Cheque request form. When the Cheque Request is processed the cheque and original source document will be sent to the Vendor. A cheque cannot be sent to an employee for forwarding.

If the order is for more than $2000, Please enter it into Zeus and Purchasing will create a Purchase Order and send it to the Vendor.

For employee reimbursement, submit a Reimbursement Form.

What are Restricted Items?

Restricted items are products which, regardless of dollar amount, must be purchased by the  Purchasing Department as indicated:

Why do I have to pay sales tax on the product I ordered even though it didn't come from a company in Canada?

The Abbotsford School District is required to pay tax on all purchases just as any other business or consumer must do. Abbotsford School District is not tax exempt. We pay either a sales tax (as specified by Revenue Canada) on almost all purchases. The only exceptions are exemptions for certain categories such as food, advertising, or professional services.

Sales Tax (P.S.T) should be represented on price quotes and invoices from vendors who are registered with Revenue Canada.

What is required for Purchasing to handle my request as single source?

To claim single source we must be able to document in detail that we have searched for alternative sources, and there must be a written description of what the special conditions or requirements are which make the purchase justifiable to only one source. The Request for Single Source Approval Form has been developed to aid in documenting. If you have trouble with the form, contact Purchasing for help with determining the extent of support necessary to support the request.

Brand or model name is not usually sufficient to justify sole source. Often, these brands are available from several different distributors or retailers. In this case, instead of doing a single source form, indicate on the Purchase Form why an equivalent brand or model will not serve your purpose

When does a purchase need to be competitively quoted?

Any purchase for goods or services with a total value (less tax and freight) equal to or exceeding $5000  requires (3) competitive quotes (verbal quotes are  NOT acceptable). Any product or service that is projected to exceed $75,000 shall at a minimum be posted on the BC Bid Portal website.

For Construction and Facilities, repair and products written quotes are always required, and it must be advertised if it exceeds $200,000 as per the TILMA agreement Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility

Why quote?

The competitive process is our most effective means of determining the best price and overall value to the district. Competitive quoting fulfills our obligation to the business community who, as taxpayers, expect to be given a fair and equal chance at participating in the business the district has to award.

It’s also the law!